TAX Credits Phone Number

0843 116 0000

TAX Credits Registered Office

Preston, PR1 4AT

About Tax Credits

What are tax credits?

Tax credit is a form of relief incentive provided by the government. You can receive child tax credit if youíre responsible for children who are below the stipulated age. You can qualify for working tax credit if youíve lower income or if youíre a physically challenged employee.

Types of tax credits

Tax credits are of two types:

  1. Child tax credits
  2. Working tax credits
Depending on your circumstances you may qualify for one or both of them. Tax credits arenít taxable. And if eligible, you donít have to pay for National Insurance or tax to qualify, i.e. it is tax free! You may use our website to know clear-cut information on each type of tax credit and find out if youíre eligible.

What type of tax credit am I eligible to?

Many people often qualify for one of the tax credits or both. Review the following information to know more on eligibility criteria.

Child tax credit

If youíve at least one child or a young one living with you, you can claim child tax credit:

  • If youíre taking care of a new born baby
  • If children under 16 are living with you
  • If youíre responsible to fund education or training of children aged between 16 to 20
To receive child tax credit you donít have to be employed. You can contact us to know the details on what type of tax credits youíre entitled to, or to figure out what type of training and education counts for receiving child tax credit.

Working tax credit

The compensation on working tax credit (WTC) is calculated based on the amount your job pays you and the hours you work for. Whether youíre an employee or a self-employed professional, you can claim tax credit in both the cases. WTC can be availed by individuals who:

  1. You have children or even if
  2. You donít have children
It doesnít matter the hours you work, but only paid work is taken in to account to claim WTC. However, there are a few limitations.

If you donít have children

Childless couple who wish to receive WTC need to work for the following hours:

  • 25 or above aged people should ensure a minimum of 30 hours of work per week
  • Disabled and 16 and above should ensure a minimum of 16 hours of work per week
  • 60 or over should ensure minimum of 16 hours of work per week

If you have children

Whether youíre single or a couple and responsible for children, you need to be aged 16 or over to claim WTC. Review the following details to know how many hours you need to work?

  • If youíre single, a minimum of 16 hours of paid work per week
  • If youíre a couple, a minimum of 24 hours of paid work per week is mandatory requirement; also one amongst you need to work at least 16 hours per week
Remember! If your joint working hours are less than 24 hours per week, you can still claim tax credit, provided you meet specific eligibility criteria. For any inquiry on tax credit or child care benefits you may use this website or call us directly to find the tax credit information. To know how much percentage repayment you will be tax benefitted feel free to utilise our service.

Income limit for receiving tax credits

The eligibility and amount for receiving tax credits depends on various circumstances. You may not be entitled to tax credits if your income exceeds the required limit.

You are eligible for tax credits if:

  • Your earning as a couple is £18,000 but have no children
  • You are single and earn £13,000 but have no children
  • Your yearly income is £26,000 and you have one child
  • You earn £32,200 per annum and you have two children
Note: The limits may not be applicable to all. Income before tax deduction and National Insurance is considered while calculating annual income. Some of state benefits like earnings may also be considered. To know more about it, as well as the amount you are entitled to, give us a call to our helpline number 0843 116 0000 to get answers for your differing inquiries like:
  • You have children but do not work. Are you still eligible for tax credit?
  • Can you get tax credits for adopted children?
  • You work for 16 hours or more and have children. What is the amount you can receive as tax credit?

Procedure for getting tax credits

A joint claim has to be made to get tax credits for which the below-mentioned criteria is needed:

  • If you are married
  • Living together
  • If you are in a civil partnership
If a couple claims tax credit, the money will be paid to the parent who takes care of the child.

Also, couples where both are eligible for the benefit, either one of them can decide who amongst you shall receive payments.

Since itís not possible to answer everything, for personal queries reach our helpline to know more about the payment details and number of attempts that can be made.

Renewal of tax credits

Renewal is essential to ensure the accuracy of payments. The Tax Credit Office takes into account this information to determine the payments for the next year. Renewal also helps in making adjustments so that you can receive the correct due amount.

Our services will help you gain information on what needs to be done for renewal of tax credits.

*We are not associated, nor affiliated with the any government organisation but act simply as a cost effective call connection service.